08 May 2011

PGM-ADT-CCM Impian Classic

MOORE WINS IMPIAN CLASSIC

American Jonathan Moore took advantage of Filipino Artemio Murakami's misfortunes to claim a classy three-stroke victory at the PGM-ADT-CCM Impian Classic on Sunday.
The 26-year-old rookie shot a closing five-under-par 67 to bag his first victory on the Asian Development Tour with a winning total of 22-under-par 266 at the Impian Golf and Country Club.
Earlier, Murakami was leading by three shots and at the turn he drove into out of bounds on the 10th hole for a double bogey and never recovered. He was forced to settle for second place after signing for a final round 69 in the RM200,000 event organized by Professional Golf Malaysia (PGM).

Chinese Taipei's Chang Tse-peng finished third, four behind the winner, after a 66 while Ben Leong was Malaysia's best finisher at tied fifth place on 274 alongside co-overnight leader Himmat Rai of India, who faded with a closing 75.

Moore, a former US Walker Cup team member, delivered the knock out blows with three straight birdies from the 13th hole as he celebrated a first title in Asia which was made special as his wife Claire was caddying for him.

"It feels great, it was a lot of fun. My wife is with me and we're having a great time," said Moore, who was third in last week's Clearwater Masters in Malaysia which was won by countryman Barry Henson.

"Artemio played phenomenal golf and I felt kind of bad seeing what happened to him. It was a lot closer than it was. I was trailing by quite a lot as he shot five under on the front nine. He played great. But some putts fell in for me at a crucial time.

"I had a good week last week and it is kind of funny as I've actually tried to play more conservative golf and suddenly, I start shooting low scores. It's a crazy game," added the American, who pocketed RM35,000 (approximately US$11,666).

Murakami was cruising comfortable after he turned in 31 but stumbled with a poor tee shot on 10. "The momentum changed when I hit it out of bounds. From there, I couldn't get my tee shots onto the fairways and I had tough second shots. It was his day," said the Filipino.

"I missed a birdie chance from eight feet on the ninth hole. If that one had gone in, it could have been a bit different. But Jonathan played so good. I'm still happy as I managed to shoot a 69.

"I hope to keep my momentum going until next weekend. Everything has been working this week. I'm happy with my swing and I'm really enjoying playing golf right now."

Rai, rated as one of India's rising stars, was disappointed to falter at the final hurdle after leading for the opening three rounds. "I started off terribly. I was quite shock after the first couple of holes as I didn't do much wrong. I drew a bad lie on the second hole when I lost it right and it ended on the face of the bunker. My attempt to get out hit the wall and I drew a bad lie again," said the 23-year-old Indian.

"It was still good experience for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm playing well and I'm looking forward to next week and the rest of the year. Obviously I'm disappointed now but I think I have many more opportunities to come."

Leading final round scores
266: Jonathan Moore (US) 68-66-65-67
269: Artemio Murakami (Phi) 65-67-68-69
270: Chang Tse-peng (Tpe) 66-74-64-66
271: Will Yanagisawa (US) 67-67-69-68
274: T.J. Kim (Kor) 73-66-68-67, Ben Leong (Mas) 69-72-65-68
277: Danny Chia (Mas) 69-69-72-67
279: Hanafiah Jamil (Mas) 68-71-73-67, M. Sasidaran (Mas) 66-75-70-68, Hsu Chia-jen (Tpe) 69-71-69-70
280: Mithun Perera (Slk) 74-70, 68-68
281: Kemarol Baharin (Mas) 70-69-74-68, Rashid Ismail (Mas) 77-68-67-69, R. Nachimuthu (Mas) 70-69-72-70.

No comments:

Post a Comment